DT Reserves vs Newton

Away to Newtown

Dawlish Town Reserves 3 Newtown 2

Dawlish Town Reserves were looking for revenge for the earlier January defeat against Newtown. The Dawlish team had new signings Ishamiar Camera and Steve Gratton available for the game along side a near enough full strength squad. The game started with both teams trying to push forward and take the upperhand, but it was Newtown who took advantage from an attach down the rightside as the Dawlish defence went to sleep and a cross through the box saw an easy sidestep in for the Newtown forward for them to take the lead.

In what can only be described as a bizzare incident Newtown were awarded a penalty by the referee when Lee Fenner was judged to have obstructed the Newtown forward. The Newtown forward stepped up to put the penalty kick away to increase their lead to 2-0. The rest of the first half continued in the same vein with can only be described as some extra ordinary refereeing by the man in the middle for both sides, which continually broke up the run of play. Dawlish went in 2-0 down at the half time break.

The second half started with Dawlish stepping up a gear after, and with the introduction of Steve Gratton to the midfield Dawlish were on top of the game. Ben Smith and Gary Hodgson playing up front for Dawlish began to cause problems for the Newtown defence, which paid off when Ben pulled a goal back for the Seasiders. This gave the away side further momentum, with the midfield trio of Lee Fenner, Sean Stoneman and Steve Gratton taking control of the game. Dawlish pulled level 10 minutes later when full back James Spence beat one Newtown player took the ball forward and struck the ball from 25 yards, captain Neil Cleave promptly fined him for the goal celebration. (The team have not heard the last of this one!)

Dawlish pushed forward again and with Liam Jones joining the midfield in place of the Sean Stoneman who was outstanding, but once again some interesting refereeing decision held the score level at 2-2. With fifteen minutes to go, Joe Crook added to his seasons tally to six and put Dawlish 3-2 up. Dawlish continued to pile on the pressure with Gary Hodgson having two chances cleared off the line, and Ben Smith hit the bar. Newtown had a chance in the last few seconds of the game but their forward put the header over the bar. Dawlish took the match 3-2.

Man of the match for Dawlish was Lee Fenner for his outstanding second half display in midfield.

This was the first game that Richard Woods who recently joined the management team of the reserves had a chance to the team play and was full of praise for his new team. “The team play as a team and their heads never went down even when the score was 2-0, it shows how much playing for Dawlish and this win meant to them. They are a good bunch of lads.” Despite this well won victory there was criticism from a former member of Dawlish Town who believe that amusing comments “belittle” the fine name of Dawlish Town. Perhaps they should remember the last comment our managers say to the players before they go on to the pitch,

“Above all go out and enjoy yourselves!”

So on that note in the future players please note: Music in the dressing room is banned, no more strippers and WAG’s will be allowed in the dressing room at half time, Alcohol is banned from consumption seven days before each match and if anybody is caught enjoying themselves they will be asked to go and join the bowls club across the road! As a result of these new club rules both Derek Spence and Keith Fenner have left the reserves management team to take up new positions at Leeds United replacing Denis Wise and Gus Poyet. Chairman Dave Fenner has wished them well on their journey, but has asked if they could bring back the goal post in time for next weeks home game!