Bitton vs Dawlish



Dawlish produced one of their best displays of the season to overcome third placed Bitton in a high quality encounter.

Leading scorer Antony Lynch was missing through suspension but manager Chris Myers was able to recall the highly talented Jamie Mudge who is a transfer target of rich spending Truro City. Shaun Bowden was also available on a weekend break from university and took up his customary berth wide on the right.

Bitton showed their pedigree from the kick off and their speed of pass and movement had Dawlish at full stretch and it was no surprise when they took the lead after only five minutes. Dawlish were constantly on the back foot and only a last ditch tackle from Arran Pugh prevented goal number two. After weathering the storm Dawlish equalised from their first meaningful attack. Liam Moseley’s shot was deflected for a corner and Dean Steven’s ball into the box fell to skipper Derek Fields who slotted the ball home from close range.

Within minutes Dawlish had taken the lead. Moseley held the ball up under pressure and found Gary Head breaking forward from midfield. He slid the ball onto Mudge who produced a top quality finish with a first time left foot shot across the keeper into the far corner of the net. Bitton fought back and deservedly equalised before half time to round off a thrilling first 45 minutes.

Dawlish had the benefit of playing down the slope in the second half and they began to take the upper hand. As the rain started to come down, the pace of the game quickened on the slick surface and the speed of Bowden and the interpassing of Fields and Adam Shearer had Bitton on the back foot. The decisive breakthrough came as the ball was fed out to Mudge on the left and his cross was met by Fields who made a driving run into the box to turn the ball in from close range. Recent signing Ryan Draper had the chance to show his goalkeeping skills when he was forced into a diving save as a free kick was fired in low on the skiddy surface.

Dawlish finally wrapped up the points with 5 minutes remaining. Mudge was put clear and he calmly rounded the keeper and stroked the ball into the empty net. Draper was forced into one more save as he stretched to claw away a clever lob aimed for the top corner. With games in hand this win puts Dawlish firmly back into the race for a top six finish and their next league encounter is at Sandy Lane versus Street on Saturday 1st December kick off 3 pm.